Friday, July 13, 2012

Don't Be Fooled

In case you haven't read this incredibly interesting article on organics from the New York Times, you should read it now and then return to reading this blog post. 


So what did you think? I was shocked to find out that more than 250 nonorganic items are allowed to be in foods officially certified as organic. I was disappointed to read that when you trace back all the supposed "health foods" (like Kashi and Naked Juice), they're all owned by the same big businesses that also supply us with crap foods. I was upset by the thought of all the money people waste on "organic" foods purported to be healthier. But mostly I just felt fooled. 


All this time I actually thought an organic label meant something. Silly me. I thought that organic meant organic. Apparently not. Organic actually means naturally organic and nonorganic items that are approved to be labeled as organic by the National Organic Standards Board. As with every other label in a grocery store, the organic stamp is simply an advertisement on the front of a box meant to catch your eye and make you think you're making a healthy choice.


I feel bamboozled, but also empowered. I now know "organic" is really a loose term applied to products that may or may not be made with actual organic ingredients. So the next time I'm shopping, I will think twice and read the ingredient list before I decide to spend extra cash on an "organic" item. Just another reason why it's so important to read your nutrition labels before you buy anything!


And in addition to reading your labels, this article is further justification for eating whole foods - foods that don't require an ingredient list. Yes, there are a separate organics questions related to produce and meats. However, if you're eating an apple - be it organic or not - it is still just an apple and therefore a better choice than some organic-apple-flavored-power-bar that contains mild traces of apple and a bunch of ingredients you cannot read. Stick to your fruits, veggies, grains, meats, fish, beans, nuts, eggs, cheese, plain yogurts, and milk, and there will be no need to look at an ingredient list. 


The moral of this story: read your labels. Stick to whole foods. Don't be fooled.   

No comments:

Post a Comment