Sunday, April 8, 2012

What To Do With a Head of Cauliflower

To some, this post may be incredibly random. Well, it kind of is. I had no intention of dedicating an entire post to cauliflower; but this past week I found myself with an excess of the pearly white vegetable chillin' in my fridge. So, after making four incredibly delectable dishes (five, if you include the soup Brendan made for my birthday), I thought that I would share my newfound appreciation for the overlooked, easily forgotten, wannabe-broccoli, that is cauliflower. For those of you who insist that you hate cauliflower, I have one thing to say to you: come on now, are you 5 years old? Seriously, what mature, intelligent, adult pulls the "mommy, I don't like it" line (said in a whiny voice) anymore? Grow a pair, and start opening your taste buds up to new experiences. Who knows, perhaps trying new foods will inspire you to be more adventurous in other parts of your life...just saying ;)


In order to explain why I had so much cauliflower at my house, I need to quickly tell you one awesome aspect about my job. As you know, I work for a program that coordinates and teaches healthy cooking courses for low-income families. We have a relatively small office, with not nearly enough pantry or refrigerator space for the copious amounts of ingredients we use for and bring back from these classes. So on Fridays we do a clean-out of the office refrigerator, and anything that is going bad or won't be used the next week, we get to take home. Last Friday, I called dibs on the cauliflower - no recipes in mind, no concrete plans of how to use it. I brought my bounty home, but quickly realized I wouldn't be doing any real cooking over the weekend, as it was my birthday - I was either eating out, or others were cooking for me. For the time being, cauliflower had to be put on the back burner.


Then on Sunday, Brendan cooked a wonderful three-course meal for my birthday. The first course was a Cauliflower Soup with White Truffle Oil (snazzy, I know, and DELICIOUS too!). 
But Brendan hadn't seen the large amount of cauliflower already in my fridge, and therefore bought his own head of cauliflower in order to make the soup. The leftover cauliflower, not used in the soup, was added to my stockpile of the crunchy white vegetable. Even more cauliflower with which to experiment...


I doubt that many of you find yourselves with an overflow of cauliflower in your refrigerators. As I referenced above, cauliflower is not a go-to veggie for most people. But take it from me, the recipes I discovered - while trying to use up my cauliflower supply - are mouth-watering and easy to make. For those of you who are intrigued, here's what you can do with a head of cauliflower:


Dinner #1: Cauliflower Steaks with Olive-Relish over Sauteed Kale 
(adapted from Bon Appetit)
It looks complicated because there are so many components, but I promise this is actually a rather quick meal to make!
Serves 1

For Olive Relish:
-5 cured black olives, pitted & minced
-1 garlic clove, minced
-1 tablespoon capers
-handful of parsley, chopped finely
-1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
-1/2 tablespoon olive oil
...Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl



For Cauliflower:

-1/4 cauliflower head, cut into thick pieces (i.e. "steaks")
...Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
...Sautee cauliflower in pan with a little bit of olive oil, until golden brown on both sides (about 2 minutes each side
...Transfer cauliflower to baking sheet & bake in oven for 20 minutes



For Tomato Sauce:
-1 plum tomato, diced
-2 garlic cloves, minced
...Sautee garlic cloves (use same pan from cauliflower) with a bit of olive oil for about 1 minute
...Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes become a sauce-like consistency (10-15 minutes)
...Keep warm over low heat 


For Sauteed Kale:
-2 cups kale, chopped
-1 small shallot, minced
-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
...Sautee shallots in pan over medium heat, until translucent (about 5 minutes)
...Add red pepper flakes, stir for 1 minute
...Add kale, cook until wilted


To Serve:
-Layer 1: sauteed kale
-Layer 2: tomato sauce
-Layer 3: cauliflower steak
-Layer 4: olive relish
Top with fresh grated parmesan or pecorino cheese!



Lunch: Cauliflower Tabouli Salad

Serves 1
Mix together: 2 cups cauliflower (chopped), 1/2 plum tomato (chopped), 5 cured black olives (minced), 1 clove of garlic (minced), large handful of parsley (chopped), 1/4 avocado (chopped), 1-2 scallions (chopped), 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (or more to taste), pinch of salt & pepper
Eat with pita bread!

Dinner #2: Sicilian Cauliflower Pasta
(adapted from Food Network Magazine)
Serves 2
...Cook penne pasta (or any other kind of your choosing) according to package - reserve 1/4 cup pasta water after pasta is cooked
...Sauté  1 garlic clove (minced) and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes in 1 tablespoon olive oil, over medium heat (about 1 minute)
...Add 1-2 cups cauliflower (chopped - small pieces) and small handful of golden raisins to pan; sauté until cauliflower is cooked through (7-10 minutes) 
...Add 1/4 cup parsley (minced) and 1/4 cup basil (minced) to pan, cook for 1 more minute
...Add cooked pasta and reserved pasta water to pan; combine everything well
...Serve with fresh grated parmesan/pecorino cheese
*try adding toasted walnuts or pecans!

Breakfast: Cauliflower Egg Scramble
Serves 2
...In medium skillet, combine 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and 2 scallions (chopped), cook for 2 minutes
...Add 1 1/2 cups cauliflower (finely chopped), cook for 5 minutes (until cauliflower becomes tender)
...Add 1/2 plum tomato (chopped), cook for additional 2 minutes, then add small handful of parsley (minced)
...Whisk 4 eggs together, then add to skillet and cook until eggs are done
...Add a pinch of salt and pepper, optional garnish of extra parsley and/or fresh grated cheese
*Tastes great when served with cheesy grits or toast & jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment