Thursday, September 15, 2011

Eating Healthy Basics 101

What does a typical day of eating "healthy" look like? Hmm, good question... and one I'm sure many people ask on a daily basis. Should I be eating this? What about that? I'm not a registered dietician (yet), so at the moment I can't give you the nitty-gritty details about the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients in all the food you're eating - not that you really want to know or even care. But I do have a lot of experience with food and nutrition (I work for a cooking-based nutrition education program, so my daily interactions are between chefs and nutritionists), so I can give you some very knowledgeable advice.

Let's start with the basics: 
1. Does it grow from the ground or up in a tree? Then eat it up! You've heard it before, but seriously, vegetables, fruits, grains, beans, nuts, and legumes - these are the foods you want to be eating the most of, and I'm talkin' at least 70% of your daily intake.  High in vitamins & fiber, low in calories (aside from the nuts) & fat (FYI veggies and fruits don't actually have any fat - the only exceptions are coconuts and avocados, but we can get into that detail at another time)...this is the type of food your body wants and needs. Eat more of these foods and I guarantee you'll feel the difference in your body's happiness.

2. Does it come from an animal? These are the foods that you want to eat in moderation. Why? Because animal products have a lot of cholesterol and fat (predominantly saturated fat - again, we can get into details on fats later) and although your body definitely needs fat, you can get fat from healthier sources (best example: OLIVE OIL!). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE cheese, but it's not really something you should be eating in big portions, on a daily basis. So, when it comes to dairy products, choose low-fat or non-fat options when possible. Some low/non-fat dairy products taste incredibly similar to (or the same as) their full-fat counterparts (example: I personally taste no difference between low-fat and full-fat cottage cheese); but, there are definitely some things that just don't taste the same if they aren't full-fat (example: non-fat feta cheese tastes super gross...regular feta is like sex in your mouth), so just be sure to limit those full-fat products to once a week in small portions. You don't have to give up the regular feta to be healthy...just don't eat it every day in huge chunks for lunch and dinner. As for meat, if you're going to eat it, then choose lean cuts of poultry, try to eat fish that are low in mercury, make your weekend omelet two-eggs instead of three (or better yet, one egg + one egg white), and save the red meats (burgers, steaks, ground beef) for special occasions...like, once or twice a month. I'm not hating on animal products...I just don't want you to have a heart-attack. 

3. What about dessert?! The worst thing you can do is deprive yourself of sweets, because you are guaranteed to lose your will-power at some point and then completely binge on every sugary thing in sight (FYI - this is not good). And don't "save dessert for the weekends". Hello?! The weekdays are the days you need some sort of pick-me-up the most! Make yourself a hump-day bowl of ice cream and congratulate yourself on making it through half of the work week. Your mind and body will be thankful for the treat. 

4. And soda? I'm totally biased on this subject... sodas creep me out, mostly because you can't read half of the things listed on the ingredient label - why would you want to put a science experiment inside your body? I'm a huge advocate of good old-fashioned water. And if water's too boring for you, try seltzer water (the carbonation gives it some pizazz). And if seltzer water is still too boring for you (geez, tough crowd), then add a few drops of fruit juice (the program I work for makes this mixture all the time... we call it a "fruit soda"). Still not satisfied? Try some tea or coffee. As long as you're not adding 5 packets of sugar and half a cup of cream, tea and coffee will keep you hydrated the same as water. 

5. Does size matter? Yes, and unfortunately controlling our portions can be very difficult in today's society...have you been to the Cheesecake Factory lately? Have you SEEN the size of their plates?! You want to make sure you're eating enough, but not too much (ambiguous enough for you?). I'll get into portion control techniques at some point, I'm sure, but for now all you need to know is this: your fist = one cup, your palm = 3 ounces of meat, the tip of your thumb to the knuckle = 1 tablespoon. Look at food labels to understand what an appropriate serving size should be, and use your hands to approximate. 

This is a lot of information, I know. Your eyes are probably glazed over. You didn't actually read half of what I wrote. That's okay though - read and reread this entry until you fully comprehend the knowledge I have imparted on you. Then, reflect on your own diet - how you eat and what you eat - and think if there's anything you can change or improve upon to make you a healthier eater. No need to thank me now. I've changed your life, but no big deal. Just keep reading - that's all the thanks I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment