Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Get It? Got It. Good!

As I was walking home from the metro this evening, I began to mentally check off the list of ingredients I'd need to make dinner (this is something I do on a somewhat regular basis, because I'm constantly thinking about the next meal I'm going to make...yes, I am a bit cooking-obsessed, but that's alright, because otherwise I wouldn't be writing this blog!). When I got to "parsley" I had to think long and hard. Do I have parsley? Where in my fridge could it be? Hmmm... 


I consider parsley to be an essential ingredient - something you should always have available in your fridge - which got me thinking...for those of you who don't cook all that often or are just getting started, (and even for those who do cook on a regular basis), it might be useful to give you a list of the top ingredients that I consider "staple pantry & fridge items". These are the things you should always have on hand, because they are used, or at least I use them, quite frequently in the recipes I like to make. Additionally, these "staples" can save your butt on nights when you get home really late, haven't thought at all about dinner, and don't have the mental energy to muster up a creative dish. 


When you have staple items, you are well-equipped to make a wide variety of recipes. So, I gave it some thought, investigated my pantry & fridge, and came up with the following list of ingredients: 
**Note: OBVIOUSLY you need to buy other ingredients to make the majority of recipes I'll be blogging about (like fresh produce, meat, etc.)...if you read on, you'll realize what I mean by "staples"**


Top 25 Ingredients to Keep in Your Fridge/Pantry
1. Garlic -- this is a must. I'm pretty sure I use at least one clove of garlic on a daily basis.
2. Olive Oil -- I prefer extra virgin (it has the strongest taste of all the olive oils and I really like the taste), but if you don't like the taste, or financially you can't afford it, just get some regular olive oil...it functions exactly the same as extra-virgin. 
3. Parsley -- great taste, awesome to add to a salad, and used in almost every Italian dish (at the very least as a garnish)
PAUSE! FYI: During a cooking class I took while studying abroad in Italy, I was told by the woman leading the class that these three ingredients -- garlic, olive oil, and parsley -- are the only three things you need to make any meal taste good. She said that other spices are great, but if all you add to your pasta (or chicken/potatoes/you name it) are those three ingredients, your meal is guaranteed to taste phenomenal. Three years later, I have to say that I 100% agree with her. 
4. Balsamic/Red Wine Vinegar
5. Mustard - preferably dijon, but anything will do. I use mustard predominantly for making salad dressing (it binds the vinegar and oil to make a thicker dressing than just oil and vinegar)
6. Pasta and/or rice - if you're gluten-free, stick with the rice. If you are able to eat gluten, have at least one box of pasta always in the pantry (my favorite shapes are penne and bow-tie) and a bag of rice (brown or white)
7. Canned Beans - dried beans are much cheaper, but the convenience of opening up a can of beans and not having to worry about soaking the beans overnight/waiting forever for them to cook, outweighs the cost (at least for me, at this point in my life). And honestly, canned beans aren't that expensive anyways - like $0.89! Just make sure to rinse and drain the beans in a colander before using - this gets rid of almost 40% of the added salt (and when possible, buy "no salt added" or "low-sodium" cans)
8. Canned Tomatoes - diced, crushed, whole-peeled...it's up to you. I usually have one can of each. 
9. Lemons - great for seasoning, plus you can use the peel!
10. Honey 
11. Flour - if you have to choose one, go with unbleached all-purpose because it can be used in way more recipes; but if you have the luxury of enough pantry/fridge space, I recommend a bag of both (that way you have the option of making certain dishes half whole-grain - - especially when baking!)
12. Canola Oil - you'll use it in baking, as well as for stir-frys 
13. Sugar - I use brown sugar as much as granulated, so I'd recommend a small bag of each
14. Onions/scallions - after garlic, these are the best ingredients for flavoring & spicing up a dish!
15. Ginger - super cheap, stores well, and adds delicious flavor (especially to asian dishes)
16. Baking soda 
17. Baking powder - if you're going to bake AT ALL, then baking powder and baking soda are MUST-HAVES
18. Dried fruit - raisins first, then get fancy (dried cranberries, apricots, figs)
19. Tortillas - again, if you can eat gluten then go whole-wheat; if you can't have gluten then get some brown rice tortillas instead. Tortillas are great for lunches and also quick dinner ideas. 
20. Eggs - need 'em for a lot of baking recipes, but also delicious as breakfast, brunch, or a quick dinner
21. Cheese - at the very least have some sort of Italian cheese available for topping your dishes (Pecorino-Romano tastes similar to Parmesan, but is WAY cheaper!); if you want to get sassy, buy some cheddar (great for melting), feta, gorgonzola, or goat cheese - all these are great for incorporating into dishes 
22. Butter - I don't actually use butter all that often, but there are certain baking recipes that need it, and since it has such a long shelf life you might as well invest in some butter and keep it in your freezer/fridge
23. Nuts - these can be expensive (I've found that price-wise, Trader Joe's is the cheapest), so I would start by getting walnuts and almonds. If you're willing to invest, get some pecans, pistachios, hazelnuts, or sunflower seeds. Be sure to keep 'em in your freezer and they'll be good for months!
24. Peanut Butter - sometimes I make asian dishes that use PB, but it's also a fantastic go-to item for quick lunches (PB & J...classic) and tastes delicious with apples and bananas for a healthy snack. If you're allergic to nuts, try sunflower seed butter.
25. Salt & Pepper - I don't salt my food too often (I prefer adding a touch of cheese for that salty flavor), but as I learned in Italy, pasta tastes the BEST when it is cooked in water that tastes like the ocean; so for that reason alone, make sure you have a good supply of salt. And pepper is like the color black - it pretty much goes with everything - so make sure you have some.  


There you have it. Obviously there are some ingredients that are more necessary than others, and it is completely up to you what gets stocked in your kitchen. For example: if you plan on NEVER baking, then you don't really need to get baking powder or baking soda. If you're allergic to gluten, nuts, or are lactose-intolerant, then obviously don't purchase items you won't be able to ingest. And I'm not saying go out and stock up on all of these items RIGHT NOW. Your kitchen is an investment - gradually accumulate the items you feel are necessary to have in your kitchen. Having a well-stocked pantry/fridge makes cooking much more fun, relaxing, and convenient. If you're prepared to cook, then nothing can stop you. 


As the title of this posts suggests, with regard to your staples: Get it? Got It. Good! 

2 comments:

  1. Great list, Gina! Thanks for compiling all that in one place--I noticed a few I should probably keep on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GINSKY - this is just what I need! The ones I don't have are going on my grocery list for today :)

    ReplyDelete